RISK MANAGEMENT JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Cargo Loss Control & Security Manager
Responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring cost-effective
cargo loss control and warehouse security programs and procedures that will reduce all
types of cargo/warehouse related transportation/freight claims and losses as it applies to
COMPANYS divisions, subsidiaries and affiliated companies. Major responsibilities
include, but are not limited to, the following:
Cargo Loss Control & Security Consultation/Coordination
- Cargo & Warehouse Loss Control
- Proactive - Cargo Loss Control/Prevention
- Proactive - Cargo & Warehouse Security Programs
- Proactive - Carrier Loss Prevention/Security Improvement
In-House Business Resource
Cargo Loss Control & Security Policy and Procedure
- Reports to: Director of Risk Management, AGM, COMPANYS Risk Management
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Education:Bachelors Degree
- Experience:7-10 years of Cargo Loss Control & Security experience.
(background in warehouse operations, transportation industry, law enforcement/cargo
security is also highly desirable)
- Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:ALCM
- Specialized Skills:PC (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, E-Mail)
- specialized training in security and cargo loss control required
- frequent travel required
- excellent communication & writing skills needed
- internal contact with all levels of management, including accounting, credit,
MLC, legal, executive, etc.
- external contact with consultants, brokers, underwriters, insurance companies,
service providers, carrier representatives, other security/loss control professionals
- well developed analytical and technical cargo/warehouse loss control & security
skills are needed to solve complex problems
- proven skills as a loss control leader with the ability to design, sell and implement
new methods and procedures
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the development of cargo and warehouse loss control and security
procedures to protect inbound and outbound shipments representing annual sales of over
$7,000,000,000 applicable to COMPANYS divisions, subsidiaries and affiliated
- Responsible for the development and implementation of cargo and warehouse loss control
and security procedures that will have a positive impact on reducing the severity and
frequency of cargo claims from the current annual level of $3,500,000.
- Review, analyze, recommend, implement and monitor the following:
Provide training and support as an "in-house" consultant on cargo loss control
& warehouse security to MLC management.
Visit all major locations and work with local staff to identify trends/problems and
Utilize interpersonal and leadership skills to manage loss control/security change in
the diverse areas of transportation, warehouse and carrier management.
Develop and distribute various Cargo Loss Control - Management Information Reports to
all COMPANYS division, subsidiaries and affiliated companies to inform and educate
as to their individual and group results regarding cargo loss control and security matters
Visit major carrier/trucker claim and security/loss control departments to identify
problems and implement loss control solutions.
Develop and distribute a Cargo Loss Control & Security Procedure Manual and
audit COMPANYS division, subsidiary and affiliated companies' for compliance.
Develop a measurement/monitoring system to track results/impact of new loss control
methods and procedures.
Maintain a strong relationship and open communication with each participating companies
Accounting and Credit Departments to make sure that they are aware of the cargo loss
control policy and procedures.
Establish and maintain open communication with COMPANYS divisions, subsidiaries,
affiliated companies, MLC, insurers, carriers, consultants, claim representatives, CCS and
- Warehouse shipping practices and identify areas for improvements in loss control &
- Review carriers security & loss control procedures to identify problems and
- Develop a carriers claim/loss control "report card" for MLC
- Utilize claim history reports from CCS to identify trends in cause of loss, location of
loss, types of loss, losses by carrier and develop a plan to address all problems
- Utilize the Kitimat - Cargo Claim Management System for specialized analysis and